As the school year comes to a close and summer vacations approach, you’ll want to be sure your home is prepared for your absence. Our loss control experts recommend the following to keep your home safe and worry free:
- Turn off the water supply to your washing machine, refrigerator/ice maker, and toilets.
- Make sure your sump pump is working properly.
- Install several light timers to go on and off in different rooms at various times. Consider putting a radio on a timer as well.
- Have a neighbor or relative pick up your mail. If you will be absent more than a week, have the post office stop delivery.
- Lock up. Almost half the burglaries committed occur where a door or window has been left unlocked.
- Wedge a rod between the door and frame of a sliding door.
- Never leave a spare key hidden near your door.
- Don’t put your name and address on luggage tags; they can be interpreted as signals of your absence from home. Use a business address instead.
- Unplug electrical appliances such as televisions, microwaves, and computers. This will protect them in case of an electrical storm.
- Hopefully these tips can help give you peace of mind while enjoying your summer vacation!
The Turner Agency, Inc. is a local Trusted Choice® independent insurance agency located in Greenville, South Carolina and in Clemson, South Carolina as The Sosebee Agency. Serving the Upstate of South Carolina and beyond since 1962, we offer a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs for home, auto, business, or other insurance products. Contact The Turner Agency or the Sosebee Agency, a Turner Agency partner, today.
The information in this article was obtained from various sources and is not all inclusive regarding the subject matter. This content is offered for educational purposes only. Posted with permission from Central Insurance.