One of the most exciting times in life is purchasing a new home, whether it’s your starter home or your “time to downsize” home. Purchasing the appropriate homeowner’s policy is the first step to protecting your investment, but continuing to update the policy as you make any substantial life changes is what will give you the peace of mind that your investment is fully protected.
At its core, a homeowner’s policy covers damage to your property as well as offering liability protection for you, subject to certain exclusions and conditions. As time moves on, you will acquire new possessions and make life changes that may outdate your current homeowner’s insurance contract.
Here are a few life changes that may require modification to your insurance coverage:
- Marriage or life partnership. You may need to add your new wedding ring, your new spouse/family member, or their belongings to the policy.
- Getting a pet. Some breeds of dogs or exotic pets may cause concern for your insurance carrier. It’s a good idea to check with us before bringing a four-legged loved one into the family dynamic. Click here to learn more about which breeds are “in the doghouse” with some insurance companies.
- Buying a new toy such as a boat, golf cart, or trampoline requires additional insurance and an update to your policy.
- Home renovations or remodeling. Coverage may need to be increased for a new home addition, deck, or patio. If you are undergoing a home renovation, let us know so we can be sure your upgrades and additions are covered. If you replace your roof, you could be eligible for a credit!
- Home rentals. Options like VRBO, HomeAway, and Airbnb may seem attractive from an income standpoint. However, they may negate coverage under your existing policy. The same is true if you decide to rent your home rather than sell it. This type of insurance policy differs from a traditional homeowner’s policy. In either of these instances, please consult with us.
- Home Vacancy. If any of your homes are vacant for an extended period of time, your coverage may be in jeopardy. Please reach out to us for guidance in this situation.
The bottom line is that it’s important to protect your home and other assets by keeping us aware of any changes and updates so you have the coverage you need.
The Turner Agency, Inc. is a local Trusted Choice® independent insurance agency located in Greenville, South Carolina and in Clemson, South Carolina. Serving the Upstate of South Carolina and beyond since 1962, we offer a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs for homes, automobiles, recreational vehicles, secondary homes, and your business. Contact The Turner Agency today.