June 21 means the first day of Summer! Thankfully, vacation season is upon us but that means burglaries will inherently increase. Each year, there are more than 2 million burglaries, over 65 percent of which are residential break-ins, with the majority occurring in the peak vacation months of July and August. Furthermore, 9 out of 10 home break-ins could be prevented if homeowners would take simple steps to burglarproof their homes.
Here are some important tips that can help you protect your home from burglary while you’re away this summer:
- Mum’s the Word! Don’t announce your departure date or provide updates on social media. Doing so tells everyone know you are away and can make your home a prime target (this goes for your children as well.) Wait until you return to share all those vacation photos.
- Stop delivery of your mail and newspapers, or have a friend or neighbor pick them up for you.
- Trust a neighbor with your key in the event that something happens. Make sure you give our contact information to them in case of an emergency.
- Use timers on lights, televisions and radios to make it appear as if someone is home.
- Have your lawn maintained if you will be gone for more than a few days.
- Leave the air conditioner on; a silent compressor on a hot day is a good indication you aren’t home.
- Check with your local law enforcement agency. Many of them now offer a service where you can sign up to have an officer drive by your home and check on it during a regular shift…and it’s usually free!
Fire and water damage can also threaten your home while you’re enjoying your time away so be sure to take a few preventative measure to help protect your home from these perils:
- Unplug everything but the refrigerator, freezer, and the lights and radios you have set on timers.
- If possible, turn off the water to your sinks, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine, and hot water heater.
The Turner Agency, Inc. is a local Trusted Choice® independent insurance agency located in Greenville, South Carolina and in Clemson, South Carolina as The Sosebee Agency. Serving the Upstate of South Carolina and beyond since 1962, we offer a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs for home, auto, business, or other insurance products. Contact The Turner Agency or the Sosebee Agency, a Turner Agency partner, today.
The information in this article was obtained from various sources and is not all inclusive regarding the subject matter. This content is offered for educational purposes only. Posted with permission from Central Insurance