With summer in full swing, you’ll want to be sure your home is prepared when you go on vacation. Central Insurance recommends the following checklist to keep your home safe and worry-free:
- Turn off the water supply to your washing machine, refrigerator/ice maker, and toilets.
- Make sure your sump pump is working properly. For more on sump pumps, click here.
- Install several light timers to go on and off in different rooms at various times. Consider putting a radio on a timer as well.
- Have a neighbor or relative pick up your mail. If you will be absent more than a week, have the post office stop delivery.
- Lock up. Almost half the burglaries committed occur where a door or window has been left unlocked.
- Wedge a rod between the door and frame of a sliding door.
- Never leave a spare key hidden near your door.
- Don’t put your name and address on luggage tags; they can be interpreted as signals of your absence from home. Use a business address instead.
- Unplug electrical appliances such as televisions, microwaves, and computers. This will protect them in case of an electrical storm.