Skip to main content

Golf Carts in South Carolina

By July 11, 2017April 2nd, 2020atv insurance
Golf carts have become a common means of transportation for many families.  As an insurance advisor, the safety issues involved with golf carts concern us, particularly when we see children behind the wheel.   With the multi-usage of golf carts these days, your homeowner’s insurance doesn’t provide enough coverage if you are a golf cart owner.  South Carolina law states that those who wish to operate a golf cart must be at least 16 years old and possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license. The driver of the golf cart must have the registration card of the golf cart and his or her driver’s license while operating the golf cart on highways.

If you have a valid S.C. driver’s license, you may drive your golf cart during the day within four miles of your home or business and on secondary highways.  For more information on how to obtain a permit from any DMV office, click here.  Incidentally, you need to renew this permit every 5 years or every time you change your address.

“Does my homeowner’s policy cover my ATV or golf cart?” 

Answer:  Only when the ATV or golf cart is being used on your residence premise and solely for the maintenance of your property.   We recommend that you purchase a specialized policy that provides coverage when your ATV or golf cart is used for pleasure, whether on or off of your property.   Another benefit of covering your ATV or golf cart on a specialized policy is you won’t risk filing a claim on your homeowner’s policy.  ATV or golf cart policies can average from $100-$250.

“Will my auto policy cover my ATV, boat, golf cart or motorcycle if something should happen while I am transporting my recreational vehicle on the road?”

Answer: An auto policy will cover the damage caused by any of these while being pulled behind your vehicle.  However, it does not cover damage to the ATV, boat, golf cart or motorcycle in this scenario.  A specialized policy offers physical damage for the ATV or golf cart, liability coverage up to $500,000 and covers  recreational use when you are away from your residence.  Medical payments coverage is offered for up to $25,000, giving you coverage for recreational use and while away from your residence.

If you have any questions or need to talk about insuring your golf cart, please call us at 864-288-9513 or email us today.

The Turner Agency, Inc. is a local Trusted Choice® independent insurance agency located in Greenville, South Carolina and in Clemson, South Carolina as The Sosebee Agency. Serving the Upstate of South Carolina and beyond since 1962, we offer a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs for home, auto, business, or other insurance products.  Contact The Turner Agency or the Sosebee Agency, a Turner Agency partner, today.

The information in this article was obtained from various sources and is not all-inclusive regarding the subject matter. This content is offered for educational purposes only.