Although April is designated as National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, the importance your employed drivers have on your business insurance is the same year round. Choosing the right employees to drive for your company is the most basic element in your company’s fleet safety program. Travelers Insurance estimates that driver behavior is responsible for 90% of all highway accidents.
Who Are Your Drivers?
Perhaps you don’t have a “fleet” of drivers for your business, but anyone who drives a vehicle on behalf of your company, whether it is owned by the company, rented, or is a personal vehicle, should be considered a driver. Employees hired mainly as drivers are easy to identify. But, occasional drivers who use rental or personal vehicles for business purposes are sometimes overlooked when companies consider their fleet risks. Companies must be mindful of everyone who is driving on behalf of the organization, and the extent of that driving.
Good Drivers Are Good for Business
Your business depends on your drivers and the decisions they make on the road every day. Therefore, here are some ways that good drivers benefit your bottom line:
- Reduce the cost of loss. Fleet vehicle accidents are among the most costly of injury claims for businesses. The average cost of a loss related to vehicle accidents is approximately $70,000. Safe drivers can help lower the possibility of loss due to accidents.
- Lower liability in case of loss. Effective screening, hiring, training and monitoring can help reduce liability.
- Boost your public image. Every driver has the potential to send a message. When your truck is headed down the highway, you want it to tell a positive story about your company. A good driver tells the kind of story you want to tell.
Tips for Hiring Safer Drivers
- Create consistent standards for all driver
- Verify past work history and safety records
- Conduct background checks
- Evaluate MVR’s for violations
- Conduct written and road tests
- Verify certification
- Adhere to applicable commercial vehicle driver qualification rules.
For more commercial driver safety tips along with a sample Commercial Safe Driving Agreement, visit our partner’s website. Frankenmuth Insurance offers some great tips to protect your company, your crew, and your cars.
Choosing the right insurance agent is one of the most important decisions you will make. The Turner Agency Inc. has covered the insurance needs of the Upstate of South Carolina and beyond since 1962. Our team provides choice in coverage options from a carefully selected group of financially sound, reputable insurance companies; ease of doing business; and unparalleled advocacy on your behalf.
As your needs change, we’ll be with you every step of the way. Contact us today and let’s get started!